Thursday, November 19, 2009

2 month update

Ms. Abagail had her 2 month check up last Friday—she actually turned 2 months last Wednesday, if you can believe that! She is now weighing in at 11 pounds, 5 ounces, is measuring 21 3/4” in length, and has a head circumference of 38.25 centimeters. That puts her in the 60th percentile for weight, 25th for length, and 50th for head circumference. So, with my genes, it is no surprise her weight is keeping up, but the kid has got to put on some inches. She’s got to get that basketball scholarship in the years to come (with George’s athletic abilities, not mine, for anyone who ever saw me play) if college is going to get paid for, so hopefully she’ll hit that growth spurt soon enough for height.


At least one of us was paying attention to the camera.


Watching her progress is just evidence of God’s amazing work. That we all started out that small, helpless, and cute, is just wondrous to me. To think that when she arrived 2 months ago, she couldn’t hardly hold her head up, but to watch her today and see that she can hold her head on her own and only occasionally looks like a bobblehead is amazing.

She is tracking things with her eyes really well and will actually turn her head toward the sound of mine or George’s voices sometimes. The discovery of her hands is pretty cute too. Just to think about the fact that she evidently didn’t realize they were there, and now she does, is funny to me. Does a baby just wake up one day and say to herself, “hey, what are those things waving in front of my face? I think I’ll taste them. Oh wait, they must belong to me!” It’s so cute!

Abagail is also quite the chatterbox. Her vocabulary includes any number of coos and gurgles that you can imagine—if that actually counts as a vocabulary. I think it does! However, the 2 most major developments have been the fact that she now sleeps through the night and smiles with abandon. The child doesn’t seem to require all that much sleep, as she doesn’t nap all that well in the afternoon and won’t go to sleep until about 11PM. But hey, she doesn’t seem to need to get up until anywhere between 5AM and 6AM, so that makes us happy! Her smiles just melt your heart when she turns on one for you. Now I just can’t wait to hear her laugh too!

Needless to say, the doctor’s appointment was uneventful. Since we’ve been blessed with such an easy baby, we didn’t even have too many questions for the doctor. All of her physical, mental, and social progress seems to be right on track with where a 2 month old should be. She had to get 3 shots, but beyond a 30 second crying jag immediately following the pokes, she was fine. We gave her 2 doses of Tylenol that day, but luckily, didn’t develop any fever, fussiness, or have any reactions to the shots.This was taken one of the first days she was home, so she's only 4-5 days old.
And while this isn't a flattering picture in the least--look at that belly!--it does show her growth really well when we took it just a day or so ago.



I had to return to work last week and it wasn’t as traumatic as I expected. The grandparents kept her on Wednesday and that went well. Mom was a bit tired and she made me laugh when I asked her how the day went. She said she just hadn’t gotten anything done all day. That was the validation I needed. I’ve been feeling terribly unproductive and disorganized, but to know it’s not just me made me feel so much better! Friday was our 5 year wedding anniversary and Grandma and Grandpa kept her for a few hours while we went out to enjoy dinner and one another’s company. We made a rule to not talk about the baby. Sadly, it was hard at first, but totally worth it to catch up on things with one another.

I’m lucky enough to be easing back into work on a part-time basis. I won’t go back full-time until the first week of December and George is off for the next 2 weeks, as Grandpa Schmerer is in for Thanksgiving. It’s been tough not spending all day with her, but it feels good to be back and part of things again. I don’t even want to talk about how far behind I am, but I was off for 8 weeks. I can’t expect to catch up in just a day or two.



Check out the last post. It shows her progression in this same pose from her first night at home, to her one month birthday. This was from her 2 month birthday. I put this outfit up already-look at the highwaters!


Finally OK with the Bumpo. At least most of the time.

And this is now our favorite. George and I are kind of slow sometimes. We'd forgotten our camera also takes video . . .

1 comment: