Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It's a girl!














Woohoo! We had another ultrasound this morning and we've now been informed that the alien baby we're having is going to be a little girl alien in September. George sure was making a big deal about having a boy, but just as I suspected, he doesn't really care. He's just so ready to be a dad that it doesn't matter. She'll be the biggest daddy's little girl ever.

Other than that, things look good. Watching the heart beat on the ultrasound is fascinating. The still shots just don't do it justice. Seeing it live again was amazing. I'm afraid the still shots we got aren't all that impressive. Even though we're 6 weeks further along than the last ultrasound, I think the still shots aren't all that much better than the first round. Baby girl wasn't being all that cooperative really. The tech who took the pics spent alot of time with us, trying to find good shots, but as she--the baby, not the tech--wasn't being overly cooperative, the pics aren't fantastic. She wasn't able to tell us the sex of the baby, so had to defer to the doctor.

The doctor came in, took closer looks at the chambers of the heart, the spine, the head, and the kidneys and gave everything a good progress report. He didn't take any pictures while he was working, and as he stood up, I said "so I guess you weren't able to tell the sex either?" He said "yeah, I did" really casually. Well, spit it out already! He turned the machine back on, focused in on the appropriate shot, and said that he's about 90-95% sure we're having a girl. Well, after the thoroughness he showed with the heart, the spine, etc, but he was so casual about the gender, I still don't know how firmly I want to believe we're having a girl. Like I'm going to question the guy's years of education and experience? But he didn't even point out the goods. He just said, yep, it's a girl. Well dang it, now we're going to have to wait another 6 weeks for further confirmation since I still can't believe it!!

We go back in 6 weeks. Evidently, by that time, the digestive system and the kidneys will be further along enough that they'll be able to evaluate those even more carefully. And, by that time, I can hopefully set my mind at ease that we are in fact having a little girl.

So far, I still haven't detected any movement. Although I've been told by the end, I'll practically be sick and tired of all that movement, I'm still anxious for it to start. C'mon kid, remind me you're in there!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! She's beautiful already! What an amazing miracle, huh?

    ReplyDelete