Sunday, March 15, 2009

Maternity clothes

George and I don't go to the doctor again for a month, so if I'm going to bother with a blog, I've got to find something to write about. As it's been an uneventful pregnancy so far, for those of you reading this, this is all you get.

I've made a vow that I will not be spending much money on maternity clothes. I don't care if me and everyone around me gets tired of seeing me in the same 5 outfits every week at work. Tough. We'll be spending enough money on Junior as it is, so temporary clothes just don't seem all that important. Luckily, a good friend of ours gave me a few pieces. I figure with those, I'll be able to buy a couple of more things and call it good.

That being said, and even though the scale tells me I haven't gained any weight--yet--I have noticed a change in my waistline. I am getting thicker, so my pants are starting to feel a tab bit uncomfortable, especially most of my slacks by the end of the workday. I've already got a strategy for which pants I can re-wear through the week because they are comfortable, don't get baggy, and don't look like I have actually worn them already.

In a very superficial way, I'm looking forward to starting to show. Since I'm not a small little thing as it is, I know in just another week's time, I'll be at that stage where I don't look pregnant yet, just like I'm really letting myself go. Yeah, that's what pregnant women are hoping for. Those bold (or covert) stares from people who don't know your happy news and just think to themselves, "Damn girl, quit going back for seconds-or thirds." That's fine, you can admit to doing it. I've thought it too. I don't like to admit it, but I can be a tab bit mean like that without really intending to.

Anyway, I'm fortunate enough to be headed to Disneyland in a week's time. Well, OK, I'm headed to a conference in Anaheim and Disneyland just happens to be a block away. Knowing I'll be sitting on an airplane for nearly 2 days traveling out there and back, I dragged George through Target's maternity section and a maternity clothes store next door to Target.

Needless to say, I found some comfy pants to travel in and schlep around Disney (since all I'll be doing is schlepping since rides are out of the question!) but the most fun part of the visit to the store was the belly. There are just so many darn things I don't know about all this. So, for those of you who don't know either, when you go into the dressing room, at least at this store, they have a little padded, strap on belly that lets you see how you'll look in your new clothes when your belly really has expanded.

It gave me an opportunity to stand back and think, ah, how cute! It was a really cute, rather endearing moment. Except I'll never actually look like that. The belly might, but seeing as how I fully intend on my face, arms, hands, legs, and everything else expanding to twice their normal size, what the store needed to do was provide a full-on fat suit. Hmm, I may see if they have a comment section on their website . . .

2 comments:

  1. You are SO funny! I'm really enjoying your posts, Mendy. I'm with you on the saving money on the maternity clothes plan; shoot, you may even wear those same clothes for the next kid!

    Have you checked out craiglist? I'd even peruse through Ross to see what's available.

    Glad you're not yet puking or anything like that. Maybe you'll be lucky and just crave things like pickles and ice cream :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're still feeling good!! When I was pregnant with Owen, there happened to be two great children's consignment shops nearby that also sold gently used maternity clothes. Stuff was cheap and in really good shape. You might want to see if there's anything like that in your area.

    ReplyDelete